Broccoli salad isn’t perhaps the most Italian menu item ever, but often times in school lunch one or two courses of the meal are “internationally” inspired, while other aspects of the meal stick to the basics. Japanese style vegetable salads are a familiar way for children to get their healthy greens.
½ head broccoli
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/3 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1. Separate the broccoli into medium size bunches.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and boil for one to two minutes.
3. Drain the broccoli and once the broccoli has cooled somewhat, cut into smaller, bite-sized slivers.
4. Prepare the dressing, mixing together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
5. In a bowl, toss the broccoli and dressing together.